If you are a pastor and you are reading this, you might be wondering:
- Why is a financial planning company writing about statistics for church planters?
- Why do they care?
- What’s the benefit for me–I don’t have a lot of disposable income!
At Stewardship, we first care about people. Our mission is to love and serve people in their finances. This includes pastors, who many times are so busy caring for others and leading their church they forget to care for themselves.
Here are some mind blowing statistics from the Barna Research Group* that really put into perspective how pastors and church planters are affected by their finances.
- Three-quarters of church planters say finances are one of the top two or three things they are concerned about (73%).
- The typical church planter spends 21% of his or her time on finances.
- More than one-third says their church startup’s income is inadequate (37%) and half report it is “just sufficient” (51%). Only 12 percent say the church’s income is “more than sufficient.”
- One-third says they have considered quitting their ministry because of finances.
- One-third reports considerable friction in their marriage due to finances.
- A majority believes finances will play a major role in the survival of their ministry (74%).
How does this sound to you? Does this feel right? Are you currently experiencing these same struggles?
Because Stewardship is passionate about this, we have created an affordable solution for you! We want to partner with you in your finances so you can effectively lead your church without this burden. If you feel you are not even in a position to use a solution like this, we have scholarships available. The bottom line is people need to meet Jesus, and the local church is the best place for that to happen. We understand this, and want to serve you in a way that you can be most effective for the kingdom.
Check out www.moneywellrooted.com/pastors for more information on how we can partner together!
*Church Startups and Money: A Barna Report Produced in Partnership with Thrivent Financial (2016)
Jeremy Sharp is the Director of Financial Planning at Stewardship Financial. Jeremy loves helping people figure out ways to organize their financial life and make better decisions with their money. Jeremy and his wife have two boys and is an avid fan of New England sports.